Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A renewed faith in humans

As I was hurriedly driving Hayes to baseball practice on Sunday morning (yes, baseball practice at 9 am on Sunday and Father's Day), I was wondering what could possibly be causing traffic on Braddock Road.

I got stuck in the middle of an intersection, so I pulled into the far left lane. Then I noticed the Fairfax County Police vehicle on the right side of the road. I said to myself, OK, maybe there's a fender bender. Breath, no biggie, you're not that late. And I waited. All the traffic was stopped, but the light was green. That's when I think sometimes life should come with subtitles, so I could understand what's going on around me. Curious.

Then I see the same Fairfax County Police Officer, stopping traffic, holding out his hand, risking himself on the other side of Braddock Road, trying to stop traffic with his hand. What is going on? Why is everyone stopping? Why is he risking his life standing in front of oncoming traffic? My lane begins to move. Thank God I selfishly think, now I am going to be late. But as I slowly drive past the officer (yes, I realize the irony that I too am slowing everyone down because I have to know what was holding us up). There, rustling in the tall grass on the median, heading across the west bound side of Braddock was a mommy duck and her ducklings. The Officer had stopped the traffic so they could safely pass. Yes, it was inconvenient. Yes, I was late. But, you know what? So what? How wonderfully thoughtful was it that he pulled over to the side of the road, stopped the traffic, and helped this mommy duck and her babies safely cross a road that would have otherwise ended in their demise.

I smiled to myself. Then I told Hayes about what we had just witnessed and noted that there are still some good people in this world. I hope that goodness rubs off on others, and especially, that I remember seeing this happen, and I hope Hayes remembers it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment